Mansfield Equality Coalition
The Mansfield Equality Coalition includes taxpayers, students, parents, staff members, and neighbors in the Mansfield (Texas) Independent School District. We have been working since early 2018 to persuade the MISD school board to:
• add explicit protections for LGBTQ+ persons
• to MISD’s DIA, FFH, and FFI (local) policies
• (the policies that protect students and staff from harassment, bullying, and discrimination in our schools)
• by adding the terms sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression to those policies.
We use the hashtag #6words2commas to show what a simple addition this would be to MISD policies.
We began advocating for these protections in March 2018 and have been present at every MISD school board meeting since. Our actions have included:
• well-prepared and well-informed public comments at school board meetings, often including a religious leader, a parent, a student, and an MISD staff member;
• email campaigns to MISD school board members and the superintendent with links to information about the dangers unprotected LGBTQ+ kids and employees face; and
• educating each other and ourselves about respectful advocacy.
Our coalition includes hundreds of MISD taxpayers and voters, as well as many representatives from LGBTQ+ advocacy groups.
Galileo Church is the community organizing hub for this effort. Communicate with the Mansfield Equality Coalition through Galileo’s pastor, Rev. Dr. Katie Hays, firstname.lastname@example.org, or 817-773-3147.